TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

BookaDay - Sept 3

Morning Glory - LaVyrle Spencer

I'm not even gonna lie, I had a hard time with this one.  For the life of me I couldn't think of (or recall) a book I read that looked at homefront life during any war.  In retrospect this is not surprising as I think I self-select these books away.

And then I remembered Morning Glory - LaVyrle Spencer  which is probably my all time favorite LaVryle Spencer book.

It takes place just before WWII and features a pregnant widow named Ellie.   She is called 'Crazy Widow Dinsmore' because she grew up in a boarded house raised by her strict, religious grandparents   Now she is alone with two children, heavily pregnant and lives in a ramshackle house on the edges of town, still shunned and ridiculed.

Will Parker is a ex-convict, accused of murdering a woman in a brothel.  Just out of prison, unable to keep a job because of his time in jail, he is also poor, broken down and just a little desperate.

The two enter into a marriage of convenience and begin to heal each other and finally fall in love.  And as WWII begins and Will goes off to war, Ellie slowly reintegrates into the town, finding worth, acceptance  and new life as she contributes to the war effort at home.

Fantastic book.  I think it is time for a re-read!