TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

BookaDay - Day 16

Schindler's List - Thomas Keneally Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison The Burning Bed: The True Story Of Francine Hughes--A Beaten Wife Who Rebelled - Faith McNulty The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Alex Haley, Malcolm X

Defending the Undefended

For today's BookAday I actually struggled a bit with that interpretation.  On the one hand, it seemed clear that it should be a book about an underdog being helped or defended in some way by someone more powerful.  But I tend to shy away from books like those.  More often than not, if done in fiction, they seem patronizing and have more than a tinge of 'white savior complex' (even if everyone involved is white, LOL).

On the other hand, I also interpreted it to mean a book that shines a light on social injustice as a way to expose the struggles of the undefended underclass and possibly make them feel more human and visible in a way.

On the other, other hand I also interpreted it to mean a way for the undefended to get pissed off at the blindness of the government or social agencies who refuse to help them or claim to be unable to help them and, pushed past all limits, finally do what they have to to defend themselves.

Schindler's List - Thomas Keneally - Is a nod to the first interpretation.

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison - Is a nod to the second interpretation.

The Burning Bed: The True Story Of Francine Hughes--A Beaten Wife Who Rebelled - Faith McNulty  - Is a nod to third

while The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Malcolm X,Alex Haley  - bundles all three into one whole.