TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Do or Die

Do or Die - Suzanne Brockmann

This book reads very much like a relentless action-adventure story complete with people jumping off balconies to escape mobsters, shoot-outs in suburban homes, and lots of car-chases. Ian Dunn is our main hero who we first meet when he and his motley crew (made up mostly of family members) are retrieving stolen art and jewelry. A chapter later we jump forward in time and learn that Ian is in jail and his crew is disbanded. At this point you are not quite sure what or who Ian is except that he is an Ex-navy SEAL and that his adventures were not exactly government sanctioned. But Ian's previous exploits have become legend and now the FBI does want to use him to rescue the kidnapped children of a Diplomat and they plan to give him a get-out-of-jail free card. However Ian is in jail for a reason and he does not want to get sprung.

From there the book kicks into high gear and never looks back. We get a dizzying intro to all the characters, including Phoebe, Ian's brand new lawyer who he isn't sure he can completely trust. The members of his crew are rounded back up again and we are treated to a somewhat byzantine explanation of how they are all interrelated and we find out why Ian was content to stay on ice in Prison.

For all the this story is very action centered, it has a noticeably lighter tone than some of her earlier books. There are of course a couple or romances going on, although they feel a little secondary since it seems like the plot and action are really center stage here. There is also a lot of witty banter and snarky repartee. Some misunderstandings and people going off on their own side adventures. Ian is a likeable guy who has a hero complex in the purest sense of the word. A lot of the crazy action is based on his need to take care of the people around him.

While the book was fun and really a fast read and I enjoyed it, I can't say that I really loved it. I wasn't able to really sink into the characters. Because there always seemed to be some sort of fraught action taking place, it was easy to simply put the book down and pick it back up later. I didn't feel compelled to just sit and read and fall into the story because I never did really connect with any of the characters.

*Received ARC courtesy of Amazon Vine program