TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

The Substitute Wife - Dallas Schulze "They didn't have crème fraîche, and when I asked the kid who worked there about it, he said all their cream was fresh and seemed offended that I'd asked, so I bought one of every kind of cream they had and figured you could fake it."
Jack watched, apparently in too much pain to comment, as Keith set containers of sour cream, half-and-half, non-dairy creamer, heavy cream and cream cheese on the counter.
"And just in case, I got a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup...and when I was looking for your pink peppercorns -- which they didn't have either by the way -- I saw this. I didn't think it was what you had in mind but I figured better safe than sorry." Keith set a small container on the counter next to the soup.
"Cream of tartar?" Jack said faintly.

On Amazon there is a discussion thread that talks about romance books where the hero is a cheating husband of the heroine. There were several books rec'd for those who actually don't mind this as a plot point in their novels. I know some people consider this trope to be romance kryptonite. I am not one of them. I actually think when done well this plot can pack a great emotional punch (I also picked up and finished Some Enchanted Season another 'cheating husbands' book which, holy cow, talk about emotional!)

So imagine my surprise when I settled to read this to find that it was a surprisingly light and laugh out loud funny book that quite romantic. It also featured a great secondary gay romance that was handled with such a deft touch and unfolded so nicely (to the surprise of everyone involved) that it really rivaled the main story for romantic impact.

I do have to mention that the husband in question does attempt to cheat. There is no accident, no scarlet woman put him into a compromising position or anything like that, the heroine didn't misunderstand anything. The thing that redeems him is that we actually are in his head in the story. The story isn't told from the heroine's POV only. He gets a POV too, so you are part of his thought process. Still if one is not inclined to like this plot point in a story, then no amount of knowing where his head at is going to suffice. But I thought the author did a good job of making us understand Luke. So I had no problems forgiving him.

I know that I've read some Dallas Schulze books before, probably while she was writing for sil/harl. But she had totally fallen off my radar. The storytelling, characters, depth of some of the issues and yes, the humor in this book really brought her back for me with a vengeance. I need to find some more of her stuff.