TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson Oh well, that tears it. I need to add Brandon Sanderson to my list of authors I need to look forward to now.

I immensely enjoyed this.

Things off the top of my head that I liked:
Long book that did not feel long. This book really moved both in the case of forward plot momentum and in character development.

Two excellent major characters in Vin and Kelsior. I have to give a special shout-out to Kelsior, though. One thing that never ceases to amaze me about the fantasy genre and the writers who live in it, is the incredible wealth of well written, 3-dimensional, complex and completely memorable characters. I can rattle off a list as long as my arms of characters that feel so real that I think about them long after I've finished a book. And fully 90% of them are in fantasy. Kel has just been added to that list. Sanderson brought this character to life so vividly.

The world building/ magic system. Pretty darned awesome! And actually pretty logical as well.

And finally, I like how the book ended. A bit of a different structure here. The defeat of the bad guy isn't the end of the story. It is just the beginning. I love how there is an air of disquiet at the end of this installment. Vin's suspicions about the final words of the bad guy really opens up the storyline possibilities.

What could have been better
As much as I loved Kell & Vin I wish we had gotten as much detail and life from the other characters. I am hoping their roles and characterizations expand in the next two books.

Overall, though, a great story well told. Recommended!