TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Bone Deep - Janice Kay Johnson Four years ago, Kat Riley's husband left their house to go inquire about supplies for the plant nursery they owned. That was the last time she ever saw him.

Until bones started showing up in odd places in and around her nursery. Bones that later proved to be his.

Police chief Grant Haller fell in love with Kat at first sight when even though both of them were married. Now four years later he is divorced and still nursing feelings for Kat while she is still obsessed with her husbands disappearance.

As the bones arrive, Grant is forced to investigate and Kat is, no surprise, a major suspect.

Generally, I am not drawn to the plot where a person falls in love with the prime suspect of the crime they are investigating. It just normally doesn't resonate with me. But for some reason when I read the premise for this one I was really intrigued. I liked the idea of this guy kinda pining for this woman whose husband mysteriously disappeared. I also generally like Superromances. Of all the Harlequin lines, this one feels closest to pure contemporary romances and tends to be more grounded in reality.

The thing with this one, the mystery and suspense plot really overwhelm the romance, imo. I just didn't feel Kat & Grant like I wanted to. The shenanigans with the bones and trying to figure out what happened to Kat's husband was really good though. Great intrigue. I can only guess the reason this wasn't in the intrigue line was because of word count?

Overall a fast intriguing read that is briskly written. Fans of light romantic suspense should enjoy it.