TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Her Viking Wolf - Theodora Taylor Chloe Adams is a wolf shifter who has been adopted by a pack in Colorado and is engaged to the son of current Alpha king. However it is incredibly obvious that Chloe simply is not in love with her fiance. She constantly describes him as her best friend and often shies away from any physical contact because she feels no passion for him.

Part of the mythology of this story and the world-build is that these wolf shifters can have fated mates but that mate may not be someone of your own time. So wolves from past (and presumably future?) can come through a time portal to find their mate.

This is what happens to Chloe. A wolf from the 12th(?) century named Fenris makes his way through a portal and thanks to a character I liked to call Dr. Exposition, we know all about how time traveling fated mates work. He is conveniently there to explain it all to Chloe and her grumpy, jealous fiance.

Truthfully I thought the book was well written and both Chloe and Fenris were enjoyable, appealing characters that you could easily root for.

However much as I liked the writing, I thought there were areas of plotting an some narrative decisions that weren't successful for me. For one thing, I think having the PNR werewolf shifter element as well as the time travel element felt like overkill. Frankly since neither Chloe nor Fenris ever shifted once during the book, I wondered why they had to be werewolves in the first place? I can only think that the fated-mates plot point necessitated the characters being wolves and the whole going into heat needing hot-sexy-sex was also part of that decision. But the time travel element with Chloe going back to a time so much more primitive than her own was the dominant element of the book and had enough potential to hang all the conflict on. Frankly I found the whole werewolf thing more of a distraction than something critical to the characters or plotting.

I enjoyed the scenes of Chloe adjusting to her time with Fenris. And although the author set up the ease of Chloe's transition with making her a blogger who was an expert at DIY in old-timey homemaking, crafting, living off the land etc. I thought her transition was too easy. I wish it had been better established that Chloe had felt out of step with modern times or something so that we could understand why psychologically she felt more at home in the 12th century. I think the kernel of the idea was there, I just don't think the author brought it home. As a result, I thought Chloe's transition was much too easy. I would completely FREAK. THE. FUCK. OUT. If I was transported back to so many centuries int he past. Chloe moped for awhile.

And finally my biggest criticism with the book was the constant retelling of the same scene from both the heroine's and the hero's perspective. Felt repetitive and added nothing to the scenes.

Yes, this review may sound a bit harsh but I did in fact enjoy the read and would still recommend the book.