TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers, #5) - Loretta Chase Finally getting around to writing a review for this....

The thing that struck me the most about this book was how very well Chase matured Lisle and Olivia. She kept their basic personalities and their relationship intact but allowed both them and it to grow in what felt like a natural way.

Olivia is still the overly dramatic, somewhat impulsive creature with a natural tendency toward larceny. Lisle is still the pragmatic, level headed person who is quite out of sync with his parents. They are still friends but there is an extra layer of adult attraction over that.

I loved how Chase created that tension that spanned between their childhood memories of each other and the new adult awareness of each other. They are no longer 10 and twelve. They are no longer forced communicate only via letters. They are in front of each other now, struck by the fact they have known and, yes, loved, each other forever but they are these two new unexplored people.

And even with all the "Hmm, of course Olivia now has breasts!" and "Oh, Goodness! Lisle is so TALL and manly handsome!!!" lusty thought roiling around in their brains, they still talk to each other with the ease and irreverence of a long and close relationship.

The dialogue between them is great and I really enjoyed how Chase made this book a perfect companion to Lord Perfect having Lisle, again, beat up someone in the street on Olivia's behalf and having the two go off (again) on an adventure that turns into a treasure hunt.

I thoroughly enjoyed the lightness of tone of this book. And got a chuckle out of Olivia's letters.