TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Indulgence in Death (In Death, #31)

Indulgence in Death (In Death, #31) - J.D. Robb A subtitle for this book could be called Seduction in Death II: Electric Bugaloo.

I admit I probably am grading this a bit harshly. But the entire time I was reading it, my overwhelming reaction was to keep thinking how similar it was in motive, perps and structure to the earlier book. One refrain just kept going over and over in my head -- "this feels lazy".

And not just the re-tread in plot components but also the simple police work. Instead of true deduction and procedural follow through to come to the conclusion of who the perps were, Eve has these leaps of intuitive logic that not only instinctively pinpoint who the murders are, but also why they are doing what they do, how they pick out their targets and even their thought processes. And she does this very early on in the book, absent any real solid evidence, and she is spot-on on every aspect.

So I graded harshly because Robb has shown in previous books that she is capable of writing good police procedure and that Eve has previously come to equally spot on conclusions but only after solid evidence and real deduction.

The other thing that really disappointed me, was how almost cartoonish in their two-dimensionality the villains were. Another thing that Robb has ceaselessly demonstrated through the course of this series is that she is capable of creating a fully fleshed villain. Even the ones who seem particularly sociopathic such as Ava from Strangers in Death or outright evil such as Ricker from Judgment in Death or just plin old liked to kill for a living such as Yost from Betrayal in Death --- all received depth and made a qualitative impression on their particular book. With these previous villains Robb gave us an insight into their thoughts and emotions. Even the two bored society boys from Seduction had their illuminating moments of 'voice' and agency. But the villains in this book felt almost like villain seat-fillers.

The best parts of this book were the dialogue, beginning and the ending. The dialogue seemed particularly snappy and witty. I also enjoyed the first part of the book while Even and Roarke were in Ireland where she helped the young Irish cop solve his first murder. And the last couple of chapters are actually worth an extra half star. I always enjoy it when Eve runs an op with her team to nab her perps and this one was no different. Eve acting like a drunken boor who married Roarke for money was fun to read.

I've said in previous reviews that Eve seems to be a serial killer magnet. It seems unlikely that in little over a two year span of time that Eve would come across as many serial, multiple and thrill killers as she has. The "...In Death" novellas work great because they are just regular murders that Eve gets to solve, but I'd like the regular books to go that route more often. I liked [b:Salvation in Death|2494204|Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)|J.D. Robb|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SuxKWq%2BQL._SL75_.jpg|2888281] a lot because it was one murder and Eve simply worked it -- no muss, no fuss.