TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) - Ilona Andrews 4.5 stars!

What was sooo good?
- Kate and Curran are together and they didn't get boring. They are officially mated, living together and ruling the pack. He is Beast Lord and she is Consort (much to her dismay)
"Why is everyone calling me consort?"
"Jim designated you as Consort in official papers. You didn't want to be called Mate, calling you Alpha is confusing, and 'Beast Lady' just makes people laugh."

- They have believable growing pains with each other. Kate learns some stuff about her mother and Voron that leaves her reeling and questioning her relationship with Curran. She is so paranoid about everything that she begins to allow Voron's teachings on not forming attachments to implant in her head. But Curran manages to unwittingly and definitively crush all of Kate's paranoiac fears in a scene that is at once intensely romantic and deeply satisfying. It is also a good callback to the events at the end of Magic Bleeds. Curran hasn't forgotten what happened when he was out for eleven days and he hasn't forgiven. And I love the author for remembering this.

- The snarky one liners and (sometime) sarcastic humor is still there. There were a ton of times that I smiled and even laughed at some dialogue:
"My lord, my lady, may I say that I am delighted that my favorite alpha is feeling better. Why you'll be running recklessly into danger against overwhelming odds anytime now."

- Curran and Kate are still the baddest bad-asses in the business! Seriously. I respect that the authors have established they have power and they use it. Curran is a scary guy and Kate is no slouch either. I also love the fact that Curran isn't a weenie about using his power either. He understands that in a position as a leader you have to make hard, unpopular and sometimes heart wrenching decisions. But when it comes to Kate, all bets are off!

Curran leaned forward."You are sheltering a man whose machine caused hundreds of deaths....one of my people is dead;two are critically injured. Your volhv attacked my mate. Before we go any further, we require a show of good faith. You will give us access to Kamen now."

Vasiliy's white eyebrows rose "Or?"

"Or this meeting is over. We will consider your actions to be a declaration of war...You're free to leave. Go home, kiss your wives, hug your children, and put your affairs in order, because tomorrow I will burn your neighborhood to the ground. We will kill you, your families, your neighbors, your pets, and anyone who will stand in our path. An attack on my family will not go unpunished."

That was the best smackdown I'd ever seen.

I know, Kate, I know! And Curran is the good guy.

- There was a lot of great storytelling, continuity plotting, and best of all Ilona Andrews' trademark exciting ending.

So why not 5 stars?
Well I wasn't as bowled over by the big bad in this book as I was in past books. A doomsday machine should have had me feeling a lot more anxious than I did. But I just wasn't. I found Erra from Magic Bleeds so much scarier, I had a lot of anxiety about her. And the more-awesome-than-the-last series of pit fights in Magic Strikes were just so damned fun! I think I've read that final fight scene about 10 times.

So the...I dunno...lack of real anxiety made me lose 1/2 a star.

But that is minor. This book simply solidifies why the Kate Daniels series reigns supreme as my favorite UF series ever!