TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6) - Ilona Andrews "The day was bright: golden sunshine, blue sky, pleasant wind...I wanted to punch the happy day in the face." - Kate Daniels

I enjoyed this book so much that I went back and read choice parts immediately after finishing. It was lovely seeing our intrepid band in a new setting. They take a sea voyage across the Atlantic to take on a thankless task of protecting a pregnant European shifter whose unborn babies are the key to a volatile territorial dispute. The Euro packs turn out to be truly awful people. I don't have a real review so I will just highlight my favorites using gratuitously placed pop culture references:

The Wile E. Coyote dropping anvil award for the thing you know is totally gonna happen goes to: Hugh D'Ambray showing up. As soon as Kate started sounding smug about Hugh not finding her I knew she was doomed. It was a classic set up. I was simply counting the pages til he showed up. Her reaction was priceless.

The Kayser Soze award for shit you did not see coming: Hibla being an Iron dog. As Kate says "We've been had." Yup. And honestly, it was well played of them and kind of bad-ass.

The RuPaul's Drag race award for character most deserving to be read for filth: Lorelei. I gave this chick such a hard side eye. She was an annoying gnat who needed to be swatted.

The Dr. Evil/Ernst Stavro Blofeld award for overly complex plan that might have worked but on second thought is kind of stupid: Curran. What were you thinking?

The Walter White/Heisenberg award for awful character I am really conflicted about sorta/kinda rooting for: Hugh D'Ambray. I am sorry but I was really kinda digging Hugh in this book. Andrews gave him some great layers.

The Joan Holloway totally awesome indispensable assistant award goes to: Barabas. Barabas totally rocked in this book. Both as a person who knew that information = power, but also as a guy who was totally 100% committed to Kate's well being. And he had some great funny lines as usual.

The Return of the King lighting of the Beacons award for things I would totally love to see in the movie adaptation: Kate and Hugh's sparring match.

The Anti-Cousin Oliver award for coolest new additions to the cast: Keira (Jim's sister) and Eduardo.

All winners have a one-minute time limit on acceptance speeches!

This book was effing awesome. I don't know if my nerves can take waiting for the next one. The ante has been upped sooo much. It is only a matter if time until Roland discovers Kate's existence and I'll need to create a whole new award for when that happens.