TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

Audio progress update: 1 hour 30 mins

The Fifth Elephant - Terry Pratchett

I read this book ages ago, but it is one of my favorites of the Night Watch and the only one I've yet to listen to in audio.

Stephen Briggs, who reads these is fan-fucking-tastic as a narrator.  He gives the characters such personality.  I fell like he knows exactly how Pratchett intended them to sound.

Anyway here are some of my favorite quotes so far at 1 1/2 hour into a 10 hour audiobook (cuz these books are hella quotable).

A conversation between Angua, a female constable and Nobby, a male constable who has really taken to working undercover as a lady with some enthusiasm.

"Nobby, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"

"Yes miss."

"You do?"

"Yes miss.  Lawyers, miss.

"Good, yes.  Good." said Angua slowly,  "Now try another one."

"Eh...Actors, miss?"

Angua gave up.  "You look good in taffetta Nobby"

"You don't think it makes me look too fat?"

So far the book is killing it with sly, punny commentary on identity, gender, generational divide and what it means to be defined as something:

"Back home," [Sam] thought. Carrot had innocently talked about dwarfs "back home". To all dwarfs far away, the mountains were "back home". It was funny how people were people everywhere you went, even if the people concerned weren't the people the people who made up the phrase "people are people everywhere" had traditionally thought of as people.

And Stephen Briggs' lisp he gives the Igors gives me life!

Igor lurched through the castle corridors, dragging one foot after the other in the approved fashion.

He was Igor, son of Igor, nephew of several Igors, brother of Igors and cousin of more Igors than he could remember without checking up in his diary. Igors did not change a winning formula. Especially if it was green and bubbled.