Genre fiction lover: Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy
- Very much a 'First in a series' feel
- Fantasy romance, the fantasy takes precedence, imo. Even though the romance feels rather central and 'reads' like a romance-novel romance, there is no real tension or conflict. The romance happens. The real tension is in the bigger plot, who attacked the palace and why?
- Interesting magic system -- not quite groundbreaking but still interesting
- Main characters Sophie and Cameron were appealing -- she's beautiful and smart, he's handsome and protective. Neither one really leaps off the page though.
- Good atmosphere, I like the sense of opulence in the couirt as well as the court intrigue
- Good mystery -- There are definite antagonists and outright villains in the story -- you just don't know who they are
- Like the set up of Queen Eloisa -- she could fall either way -- good guy or bad guy?
- The high priestess Domina seems like she could be a villain, but too obvious? I dunno.
- Ends at an intriguing place. Would love to see what happens in the palace in the aftermath of that ending. Looking forward to the next one.