TinaNoir

Tina's Reading Books

Genre fiction lover:  Romance, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, Urban Fantasy

The Unleashing

The Unleashing (Call Of Crows Book 1) - Shelly Laurenston

After a rocky beginning I wasn't sure I was going to like this.  But the story built well and finished strong.

I was a bit disappointed that this was not a continuation of her 2005 book Hunting Season - Shelly Laurenston .  Although this is set in the same universe and the same mythology is used, we do not see any of Neecy and her crew from the previous book.  This is sort of explained away that there are Crows/Ravens all over the world and this branch just happens to be in LA.

The strengths of this book for me was in the quickly built camaraderie of the Crows and their male partners the Ravens.  However, there are a LOT of them all at once.  The names flow fast and furious and the book is immediately populated with a lot of people.  This is a a thing with this author, but at least in her past series we got a chance to build up a relationship with various folks in small batches.  In this book we are thrown into the deep end right away.  I think she handled the large-ish cast of characters well, but i can see how this might turn some people off.

It turned me off a little in the beginning.  Everyone was so ON and a bit abrasive (except the two main characters, Kera & Vig -- they stayed incredibly appealing throughout).  But the story steps back, takes a breath after a bit, and lets the character personalities come through.  So by the end we do get a few more fleshed out characters.

As is also typical with this author, her characters are very diverse which is always a plus in my book.  The main character, Kera is Filipina/Black and her sister Crows are from all over the place with a wide range of ethnicites and religious affiliations.

The romance was sweet and I liked how Kera and Vig weren't bite-y and snarly.  He liked her from the very beginning and he also becomes her closest confidante right away.

This is definitely a series book.  The ending introduces a Big Bad who it is obvious they will be dealing with at least into the next book if not longer.